Thursday, September 23, 2010

Drawing Flies 52_39 Bunyan Bug


Drawing Flies 52_39 Bunyan Bug

Original status: SOLD

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the Bunyan Bug!

Tech Info- Watercolor and gouache 140 lbs watercolor paper.

I created this quick sketch in my new watercolor sketchbook. The paper did not react to the watercolor in the manner I am use to, but I will have to work with it some more to get the hang of it. I am going to leave the story of the Bunyan Bug up to Jason, due to his connection with "The River Runs Through It". The Bunyan Bug is one of those flies that not only looks good and catches fish, but has a story that captures your imagination. Below is a full blown painting I did of the Bunyan Bug. This one took more than 30 minutes due to the complex layering of washes, but I thought it would be of interest in this post. . The final picture is an in progress shot of the initial wash, my palette and brushes.





1 comment:

Jason Borger said...

Jeff--Looks great! Really like the blockiness and gleam from the body. It's one of those somewhat gawky looking flies, but it still does the trick! Have a friend who catches Great Lakes coho with a flo. orange version. I'll add some more on my own post about the fly, the film, etc.