Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Drawing Flies 52_04 Boss


Drawing Flies 52_04 Boss-Gouache on chipboard

Original status: Available. Contact me for information.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the of the Boss!

Tech Info- My original intent was to quickly sketch out the shape of the fly on some chip board, then come back and paint it with gouache. Typically I will do some quick sketches to loosen up and warm up. Instead I spattered some gouache on a piece of chip board grabbed a brush and just started painting. No pencils lines just a piece of board with some odd spatters on it. I started by applying dark gray qouache to block out the form. To get the gray I mixed a bit of black into white gouache. Next came the whites and blacks to make the form come to life. Added the Orange schlappen collar and a few tweaks to the bead chain eyes and tinsel to make it read.

Update 1: Awesome approach to Jason's Boss. Waiting to hear what happened to his scan.

Update 2: The fly for next week will be a Flashback Pheasant Tail nymph.

Below is a closeup so you can see the brush strokes. Look's much better from a distance!




The boss is a traditional West coast steelhead pattern that comes in many forms and colors. I landed my first West coast steelhead on this orange and black Boss. This was an extremely effective pattern during our Idaho steelhead trip.

Below is a picture of an orange and black Boss firmly planted in the maw of this beauty my buddy Corey landed. The boss was extracted and this magnificent fish was sent on her way so that she could continue on her journey and attempt to complete the task her biology was begging her to do.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Real Nice brother, loving the shine in the ribbing, gorgeous fish too