Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Drawing Flies 52 02_Humpy


DF52 02_Humpy - Watercolor, gouache and graphite
pencil 5" x 8".

Original status: Available. Contact me for information.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the Humpy!

Tech Info- I started out sketching this one in my Moleskine sketchbook with my trusty 6B graphite pencil. I like to quickly block out the proportions and shapes with my pencil first. I do not get into too much detail at this stage, just some quick lines. I prefer to have the freedom to adjust my shapes when I start using my brush to lay in color and volume. After the pencil work is done, I throw down some quick washes to define the shape with watercolor. I use the biggest brush I can so that I deal with broad interesting shapes without any detail. I then start to add some qouache to help define the forms. These typically are the darks and shadows. At this stage the image basically looks like a fly in a dark room. Next comes the punch and sparkle, the highlights. During the entire process I always step back and take a look at the image. I also squint at the image to block out the details so I get a better view of the shapes and values. I adjust the image as necessary and call it done. I try to stop early enough so that I do not go back in and fiddle and overwork the painting. This image took 23 minutes and 10 seconds to complete.

The Humpy has a long and storied past. This article is an interesting read on the history. One of the activities I really enjoy to do along with painting and drawing flies is researching their history. I have discovered many a debate on the origin of certain flies. The other joy is discovering the numerous variations that have been created from various flies.

I am sure that Jason has more information on the history of the Humpy.




Above is an image of the finished product on my drawing board. You can see my old analog stop watch on the top left hand corner. I will try to post some in process images on future flies so that you can see the image as it progresses.

Update 1: Check out the simplicity of lines that Jason used to that create a beautiful fly shape with charcoal. Sweet work Jason! I really dig the initial sketches Jason did before diving into his illustration. Using Charcoal is just like riding a bike!

Stu Apt Tarpon is fly is up next for numero threeo.

4 comments:

Jason Borger said...

Another nice piece, my friend! I really dig the wash and spatter. Also like that deep garnet thread...makes for a great lacquered look on the head. Just from a point of interest in mind-set, if they made chartreuse charcoal, I'd have run with that on mine. Seeing the two very different takes on these flies is proving interesting, indeed!

Jason Borger said...

I really look forward to seeing your color work on our next tarpon fly...palette's the limit there!

Zach VanDeHey said...

This is very nice

Jay said...

I've always loved to tie Humpies (Humpys?).
This pattern has something I would say has 'attitude'.

It's also a pattern that has to have perfect proportions to look good: a good thick hump, wing length vs hackle size, good brushy color of hackle and a firm tail.

Here's an orange version of the Royal Humpy I tied once:
http://www.danica.com/flytier/jlee/royal_dutch_humpy.htm

Maybe we can collaborate one day with a few western dry flies? I'll tie them, you paint them and we'll get it framed and sell for a good cause?

Take care,
Jay
(The Netherlands)