Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Drawing Flies 52_43 BWO Floating Nymph


Drawing Flies 52_43 BWO Floating Nymph

Original status: Available, email me for information. Prints are available.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the BWO Floating Nymph!

Tech Info- Sepia ink, Derivans Liquid Pencil, white gouache on Lenox 100 paper

Went with a few of my favorite ink products for this one. To start, I used my rigger brush and the sepia ink and just started drawing. As I was drawing, I would take my damp round brush, and soften and blend out areas to give the image some depth and value. For the tail, I put down a pretty healthy blob of ink, then I took a drinking straw and blew the ink outwards. To give the fly more volume, I worked over the top of the sepia ink with the liquid pencil, using my brush to soften and blend. I finished up with the white gouache to reclaim some highlights and add sparkle in a few spots.

1 comment:

Jason Borger said...

One of my faves, Jeff! Really liking your overall artistic approach and execution (Of course, I'm a grayscale guy, so this type of thing is right up my alley). It's going to be tough picking my favorite top-10 of yours...