Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DrawingFlies 52_17 Hendrickson


Drawing Flies 52_17 Hendrickson- Sepia Ink, Watercolor and Gouache.

Original status: SOLD

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the of the Hendrickson!

Tech Info-I waffled a bit on how to approach this one. I knew I had the option to go either dark or light. I decided to go dark and work the background shape into the the values and shape of the fly. I also used a limited palette of burnt sienna and ultramarine blue. I did throw in a bit of orange for the wing. I started this one by lightly blocking in the shape then I lightly sprayed some water over the image. Next I used some sepia ink and my bamboo quill pen to add a bit of line work. As the pen ran over the water drops, it broke up the line to give it an overall loose effect.

Both the dark and light versions of the Hendrickson are extremely versatile patterns. This fly has a long and storied history. Hope to read about some of it over at Jason's post.

No comments: