Thursday, June 10, 2010

Drawing Flies 52_24 Crazy Claw Crayfish


Drawing Flies 52_24 Crazy Claw Crawfish

Original status: email me for information..

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the of the Crawfish!

Tech Info- Watercolor and gouache. Pretty straightforward process, a few quick pencil lines for proportion, a very loose blue background wash, then coming in with the details. I layered the image so that I could get my lights and darks to read.

I had a hard time deciding which fly to do for this week. I had the opportunity Saturday evening to run down to the Fox River to try my hand at swinging a fly for the first time this year. I landed a nice 16" smallie on my third cast. As I was removing the fly from his mouth, I happened to look down his throat. He had recently eaten a small crayfish, and I could see its claws, antenna and eyes in the back of its throat. My decision was made as to which fly to paint next.

The next decision was which pattern to paint. I have a number of crayfish patterns in my smallmouth box, but none spoke to me as good subjects. I remember my buddy Corey had a great rabbit strip version that I thought might work. I was over at his place watching game 6 of the Stanley Cup (Hawks Win!), and I asked him if he had any of those patterns laying around. He did not, but he did produce tise crazy claw version he had caught fish on. So it was decided, this crazy claw crayfish would be this weeks pattern to paint!

No comments: