Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Drawing Flies 52_46 Durham Ranger


Drawing Flies 52_46 Durham Ranger

Original status: Prints are available email me for information.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the Durham Ranger!

Tech Info- Digital - PhotoShop and Cintiq Monitor.

I began by sketching in the shapes using a 10 pixel angled brush. If you look closely, you will see some of those original sketch lines. When I digitally sketch, I use a blue/ black color. This helps to give the sketch a bit more life then when using straight black. Next, I start layering mid value "home" colors over the top of the sketch. After those colors are laid in, I start adding the lights and darks to give the image volume and depth. You can mess around with this step forever! adding details, pressing CTRL Z, going back, rinse, repeat. I try to approach my digital work in the same manner as I would traditionally. Although there are a zillion digital brushes available, I have limited myself to 6 to get the job done. Same goes with the color palette. The last step was to create the background. I turned off all of the fly layers and created the background using a variety of brushes. I typically create the background in gray scale to start. I then turn back on all of the fly layers and adjust the background color to fit the subject.

I went right to the 30 minute mark with this one. When working digitally, you can continue to tweak and modify until the cows come home. As with traditional painting, I am striving for a loose interpretive look.

No comments: