Wednesday, April 28, 2010

DrawingFlies 52_018 Solomon Caddis Pupae


Drawing Flies 52_18 Solomon Caddis Pupae- Sepia Ink, Watercolor and Gouache.

Original status: Available, email me for info.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the of the Caddis Pupae!

Tech Info-Tried my hand again using my new oatmeal toned paper. Started with a rough pencil sketch Then came back with gouache to build up the shapes and values. I diddled around to much with details and noticed that time was passing quickly. after the time was up, I took another long look at the results and noticed that I did not have enough darks and too many mid values. I guess that's why this image appears so flat to me.

I will be experimenting with some new techniques in the upcoming weeks. I feel as if I am getting into a rut with my current approach. Stay tuned to see what happens.

Larry Solomon devised this duck wing version of the caddis pupae imitation. This dressing was designed to imitate the rising pupae. Other pupae patterns rely on the impression of a bubble similar to a LaFontaine's Sparkle Pupae. This pattern imitates the wings and antenna all tucked along the body just like the natural

1 comment:

Jason Borger said...

I really like it, Jeff! Agree that some more dark would give greater dimensionality, but your wing effects and the overall color-scheme really do it for me. A beautiful piece...