Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Drawing Flies 52_07 Hex Dun


Drawing Flies 52_07 Hex Dun-Sepia ink and Watercolor in my Moleskine sketchbook.

Original status: Available. Contact me for information.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the of the Hex Dun!

Tech Info- My day job has me on the road today, so I am posting this one early. Laid down some sepia using my bamboo quill pen. Added in some watercolor to draw attention to that signature extended body and moose hair tail. More info when I return.

Update: Jason also did a great rendition of the extended body Hexagenia. He used a comparadun style wing. Lots of great color!

Our next fly will be a soft hackle- artists choice.



4 comments:

Matthew said...

Very nice painting. I have a special one in mind, but I am afraid it is going to have to wait until next week.

Jason Borger said...

Jeff—Interesting that we both chose an extended-body fly! I think there is something about those more intricate designs that appeals to the "artist" side of me. I see we went somewhat different directions with the wing/hackle (I did the Comparadun style that I grew up tying). Your fly really makes me think of Michigan rivers, casting that big white wing in the dying twilight (or under a warm, slightly overcast midnight) to the sound of a crashing brown the size of my arm...

Jeff (trout bum) said...

Matthew-Thanks, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jason-Love the extended body fly! Nothing says "big juicy Hex" like this pattern style. This pattern too reminds me of warm Summer nights Michigan. You know the hex is close to happening when you see the locals shining the riverbank trees with their flashlights!

Matthew said...

I finally was able to get to drawing last night. I am pretty happy with this one. It documents one of my earliest triumphant failures in fly tying, The Leaden Mayfly.